[nSLUG] Sobig.E effects

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Jul 2 11:18:15 ADT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, George White wrote:

> A huge volume of email has overwhelmed the incoming mail relay, stopping
> the normal flow of email.  The machine is being reset in order to recover.
>
> How does resetting the machine help?

If you have a mailer running a load average that's significantly high
(into the hundreds) and many, many, many instances of the mailer software,
it's usually quicker to reboot than to try to kill all the instances of
the mailer software. Also it may be being brought up in single user mode
to delete virus mail in the queue, and possibly to install some filters
before bringing the box back up in multiuser mode. That's my guess,
anyway...

Cheers... Dop.