[nSLUG] Aliant vs Eastlink

Miles Thompson milesthompson at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 1 13:20:22 ADT 2003

At 12:51 PM 7/1/2003 -0300, you wrote:

>I'm looking at my Cable bill of roughly $50/month just
>for internet access and wondering if it would be better
>to get the bundle of services from Aliant.
>
>In checking out their conditions, I see this:
>
>   Unlimited Service for an account does not translate into
>   allowing an account holder to remain connected even while
>   away from the computer or to use a 'ping' type program to
>   keep their connection alive, such as, but not limited to,
>   checking email every 5 minutes 24 hours a day).
>
>I have a couple of accounts at home that are being fed
>with fetchmail every few minutes.  I didn't think this would
>be excessive in contrast with running a server or using
>the current P2P stuff.  Can anyone with experience running
>Aliant's DSL service comment on what the real world picture is?
>
>--Donald Teed

I have what's considered a "business" account, and I've not checked the
conditions. I check for email every 10 minutes.

More  typically, if I've not checked, Aliant "goes away", sometimes 20 min
at a time. Sometimes it comes back OK, other times I have to reboot modem
AND computer to re-establish the connection. (This is Windows XP box.)

Other times, while browsing, I guess Aliant "needs a break" and does the
same thing, goes to McDonalds or something. Still, for me it's probably a
better and more reliable bet than Rush Communications, the local cable
provider.

Cheers - Miles