[nSLUG] Strategies for fighting spam and Win32 email viruses via dialup

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Tue Jul 1 11:42:42 ADT 2003

Virus filtering works.  Spam filtering is fuzzy logic.
My ISP for email will always flag eBay auction win notices
and most On-line purchase confirmation notices as {Spam}.

One corporate place I emailed had their spam filter triggered by the
mere mention of "clock" which matched some filter designed
to screen out spam regarding getting a larger one.  Fortunately
the sysadmin there discovered it and told me I'd have to
resend the email.

Spam is a problem for end users and for email servers.
The pure volume of it has made an impact on the reliability
of email services.  I think the only solution is going to
be to have a new protocol for email involving certificates
of authenticity or something like it.

--Donald Teed