[nSLUG] Recommended NIC's

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue May 28 16:30:13 ADT 2002

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 08:40:15PM -0300, Jason MacLean wrote:
> Just wondering what everyones favorite (affordable) NIC's are?
>
> I'm looking to pick up a few NIC's for server use and figured you might have
> some insights.  I remember Tulip chipsets were very popular among the Quake
> Administrators I've been in contact with, but I'm open to insights/comments.

 Tulip NICs are good, and the Linux tulip driver is well maintained.  I've
got some Linksys NICs that use the ADMtek Comet chipset, which is a tulip
clone.  I've looked at the tulip driver source, and it doesn't have to work
around any dumb stuff on the ADMtek chipset, and the comments don't mention
anything bad about it.  One thing the tulip does well is multicast.  see
http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html.

I got the NICs as part of a home networking kit (thanks Henry :).  Here's
what it says about itself (lspci, and kernel log output):
Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)
eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17

yeti:~# tulip-diag
tulip-diag.c:v2.08 5/15/2001 Donald Becker (becker at scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xe800.

 www.scyld.com has great info on networking, NICs, and linux drivers.

 Don Becker wrote most of Linux's NIC drivers, but some of them have been
taken over by others.  He founded scyld after leaving NASA.  Becker knows
what he's talking about when it comes to IO hardware.

http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html has some info about that chipset.
It's not very good, and the driver apparently has some dumb stuff.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y