[nSLUG] Updating Mandrake

William Marchant wmarchant at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu May 9 10:17:46 ADT 2002

Hi all,
and to Bill Davidson,

	Thank you for the answer to my question.  I accept your rant.
	First of all, let me say that I have been using Linux for less than a year.
I, and several of my friends, have been looking for an alternative to
Windows, for some time.  We believe we have found it in Linux.  In
particular, Mandrake.  Since all of us have other things which take up our
time, the progress is necessarily slow.  The learning curve includes such
things as simply giving the right answers to questions during the install
process.  I admit that this is the lazy-man's way of doing thiings, but as
long as no serious applications were involved, practicing installing the
system in its various versions provided useful knowledge.  I now have
Mandrake 8.1 on my desktop, and the data I have generated with the
applications is something I do not wish to lose.
	I obtained the source code for KDE 2.2.2 from a disc attached to a magazine.
When I tried to compile it, I found that several of the required libraries
needed updating.  I downloaded the libraries and tried again but I did not
know how to resolve problems of the "could not find" type, and I then
postponed further attempts due to other time consuming tasks.
	Shortly after this, I obtained a set of disks for Mandrake 8.2, which
included the new KDE, and other things which I thought would be useful.  I
have successfully installed it in a partition on my laptop.  I suspected that
the modem would be a problem, and it is, but everything else seems to work
well.
	I have been programming for Dos and Windows for quite a few years, using
Pascal, and now Delphi, and I have considerable expertise with these.  I am
not acquainted with C or C++, and many of its virtues and faults are
strangers to me.  Now that Kylix, (the Linux version of Delphi) is available,
I have started moving my Windows programs to Linux.  I have had some success
with this, but there is much still to do.  I, like you, enjoy writing
programs.  I realize that I need to know more about C, but I can only do one
thing at a time.

Bill Marchant