[nSLUG] external Hdd support

bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Wed May 1 13:31:11 ADT 2002

Hi:

Booting from the internal hard drive but having most of the OS on the
external drive should be no problem.  Just have a small partition on the
internal drive, which you can mount under /boot, which contains your
kernel image.  Make sure that the kernel contains drivers for the external
drive.  Tell LILO to use the external drive as the root device.

Having said that, I think it is a bad idea.  The parallel port drive will
be much slower than the IDE drive.  If I were you, I would first determine
what is consuming space (and growing) on your current install, then just
move that stuff to a partition on the external drive which you can then
mount in the appropriate place.  For example, if your home directory tends
to consume a lot of space (all those mp3's or whatever), just copy
everything under /home to a partition on the external drive and set up
/etc/fstab to mount that partition as /home.  Then all your programs are
still on the fast drive, but your data files in your home directory are on
the slow drive.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca