[nSLUG] Re: upgrading to woody: display problems

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Jun 23 05:59:10 ADT 2002

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 06:06:26PM -0300, joel.maxwell at cnet.windsor.ns.ca wrote:
> # Device configured by xf86config:
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "S3 Trio 3d"
>     Driver      "vga"
> 	# unsupported card
>     #VideoRam    4096
>     # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
> EndSection

 This is the error.  You're using the "vga" driver.  You should be using the
"s3virge" driver.

> I think the error is that it cannot get the right video mode (resolution)
> i just keeps doing
> II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "640x400" (insufficient memory for mode)
> why insufficient memory? its a 4mb video card.

 The vga driver probably only sees a small amount of  RAM.  I didn't read
through the whole server output to see exactly what it tried to do.

 Maybe xf86config didn't recognize the card even though the X server itself
does know about it.

 XF86 4.x includes a config thing in the server itself.   You can run
X -configure to write out a config file.  It autodetects your monitor
capabilities as well if your monitor and vid card support it.  (use
read-edid to try).  You don't really need to do this, since just changing
the Driver option in your config file should do it.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y