[nSLUG] spec'ing a new PC

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Jun 1 12:31:25 ADT 2002

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Douglas Guptill wrote:

> Hi:
>
> My p133 is getting a bit slow, so I'm thinking of getting a new one.
>
> One of the choices is CPU: pentium 3 or AMD.
> Will an AMD do Debian GNU/Linux as well as an Intel?

dop at colo:~$ uptime
  3:18pm  up 435 days, 46 min,  5 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00
dop at colo:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1008.998
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 2011.95

dop at colo:~$ cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/\s 2.2 \n \l

That's the longest lived of the Athlon servers out there in the field I've
set up. Others are a customer service database using request tracker,
mysql and apache with ~80K records (low uptime of only a couple of months
due to hard drive failure and subsequent replacement), and a vhost mail
server/webmail running exim, teapop, mysql and openwebmail.

My experience is that anyone who buys clone hardware will generally get
better value for money out of AMD. Anyone who buys tier 1 hardware
(compaq, etc) will go for Intel for peace of mind. Intel *is* x86 where
AMD is only x86 compatible. All my machines at home that are less than 8
years old are AMD.

Cheers... Dop.