[nSLUG] spec'ing a new PC

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Jun 1 02:22:44 ADT 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 11:32:28PM -0300, Brian May wrote:
> Douglas Guptill wrote:
> >Hi:
> >
> >My p133 is getting a bit slow, so I'm thinking of getting a new one.
> >
> >One of the choices is CPU: pentium 3 or AMD.
> >Will an AMD do Debian GNU/Linux as well as an Intel?

 Debian runs excellently on my k6-2, and on my Athlon.  I remember something
about people having problems with AMD systems, but that was years ago.  I
don't know what kind of problems there were, or what the solution was, but I
haven't heard of anyone having problems with AMD systems for a long time.
(I've heard of issues with some chipsets and some AGP cards, but I think
those have been figured out too.)

> Hi Doug,
>
> I'm running DeadRat 7.3 on an AMD athlon, plus I've run
> other distros on older AMD processors... no problems.  Matter
> of fact I don't think I'll ever go back to Intel.

 At this point, I would definitely choose an AMD system over a P4.  (P3 is
obsolete.  There is no good reason to buy a new P3 system now that you can
get dual Athlon systems.)  The fastest P4 may be faster than the fastest K7
for some tasks, but for cost-effective systems, AFAIK you can get more
performance for the same money with an AMD system.

 That's the state of things now.  I'm not a brand-loyal consumer.  There are
enough independent hardware review sites that you can make informed choices
about what to buy regardless of marketing bullshit.  (read cluetrain.com)
Intel and AMD both release enough technical details about their processors
for people to write interesting articles about them, and to make sense of
observations processor performance on specific tasks.  I'm not impressed
with Intel's apparent emphasis on marketing over making fast CPUs.  If they
stop screwing around and make something good that is available for a good
price, I'll buy it (or recommend it to friends who are getting new systems).
Especially if it isn't carrying x86 baggage.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y