[nSLUG] Multiple IPs with Eastlink

mcurrie mcurrie at buzz.cs.dal.ca
Mon Feb 18 13:08:19 AST 2002

Eastlink has told me that they cannot map multiple IP addresses to one hwaddr.
 I need to firewall 4 IP addresses from Eastlink and do not want to set up 4
firewalls.  I can't put more than one physical ethernet card on a subnet.
I've tried that, it doesn't work properly.  With MTT i used IP aliasing (eth0,
eth0:0, eth0:1, etc.) and it works beautifully.  I can't do this with Eastlink
because the hwaddr remains the same for each alias.

I have been playing with dummy interfaces in hopes of resolving my problem.  I
have created a dummy interface on my local network and it works fine.  I can
ping it and it can ping the local network.  I can assign it the MAC address of
a known ethernet card that is not in use (it isn't even in a computer).  When
I create a dummy interface on the Eastlink side, specifying a registered
hwaddr/IP pair, the dummy interface doesn't respond.  It can ping itself and
nothing else.  I added the dummy interface to the routing table and updated
arp via arp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.

Both the IP of the dummy interface and the IP of the real external interface
are on the same subnet (this may be the problem but I don't know).  Does
anyone have any ideas as to how I can either configure the dummy interface to
work OR a different solution to my multiple IP problem with Eastlink?

Thanks,
Mike