[nSLUG] [NSLUG] [META] NSLUGgers on Romanian Mailman list?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 07:51:32 ADT 2021

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021 at 03:52, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Here's an oddity.
>
> I've had three monthly Mailman list notices from
>
>     email-owner at primaria-calimanesti.ro
>
> Connecting to the host using the canonical Mailman listinfo URL and
> the password that they have conveniently sent me, I see that they have
> 198,783 subscribers, all in the .CA top level domain.
>
> Dicking around with grep and the NSLUG subscriber list, I see that
> there are 6 NSLUG subscribers in their list including me.  Four are on
> Chebucto, 1 at Dal.

Over the years, my Chebucto address has been subscribed on several
lists, usually with no traffic beyond the monthly notices, and "unsubscribe"
didn't stop the messages.  I wonder if someone is being paid based on the
number of "subscribers" and is registering everyone on some list of
"verified" email addresses.   Chebucto could be a target just based on
generating all the addresses with the aANNN pattern.

I suspect some of the lists were from a business (e.g., an SGI reseller)
that went out of business and their mailing list sold as an asset to
spammers.

> I've never received any messages sent to the Romanian list but I keep
> getting the Mailman notices.  After downloading the subscriber list, I
> have used the list website to unsubscribe.
>
> I can't guess why a spammer or malicious actor would install h{is,er}
> list of addresses in an active list server but there you go.  Weird.
>
> Presumably 5 of you have been receiving the same notices I have but
> you may have some auto-spam filters that prevent you from seeing them.
> If this is your username, you know your address.
>
> ak621
> ay986
> jthibo
> maxwell