[nSLUG] [NSLUG] [META] NSLUGgers on Romanian Mailman list?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Jul 2 03:51:01 ADT 2021

Here's an oddity.

I've had three monthly Mailman list notices from

    email-owner at primaria-calimanesti.ro

Connecting to the host using the canonical Mailman listinfo URL and
the password that they have conveniently sent me, I see that they have
198,783 subscribers, all in the .CA top level domain.

Dicking around with grep and the NSLUG subscriber list, I see that
there are 6 NSLUG subscribers in their list including me.  Four are on
Chebucto, 1 at Dal.

I've never received any messages sent to the Romanian list but I keep
getting the Mailman notices.  After downloading the subscriber list, I
have used the list website to unsubscribe.

I can't guess why a spammer or malicious actor would install h{is,er}
list of addresses in an active list server but there you go.  Weird.

Presumably 5 of you have been receiving the same notices I have but
you may have some auto-spam filters that prevent you from seeing them.
If this is your username, you know your address.

ak621
ay986
jthibo
maxwell