[nSLUG] running Ubuntu 20.04 under Windows 10 WSL

Rory rory at unixism.org
Thu Aug 5 16:24:17 ADT 2021

Everyone's mileage will vary, of course, but I find WSL to be slow.
WSL2 is even slower for any kind of disk access. So much so that I'd
rather run Linux in a 'proper' VM instead of trying share the windows
file system via WSL. So, if you're mostly going to be using Linux, I'd
work on making it the primary OS and, if needd, run windows in a VM.

But I also have a long standing dislike for all things Windows. Feels
like being trapped in someone else's maze :-) I'm spoiled in that my
workplace fully supports Linux desktops with Windows 10 VMs. I'll boot
my Windows VM on rare occasions (maybe once a month) to address
MSOffice incompatibilities or somesuch.