[nSLUG] running Ubuntu 20.04 under Windows 10 WSL

Joel Maxwell jaymax at runbox.com
Mon Aug 2 15:11:43 ADT 2021

Hi Jack,

You probably have an integrated GPU on the CPU (such as Intel Graphics
or AMD Radeon). Those need VRAM, and will steal it from your system
RAM.

Usually you can restrict the amount set aside for video memory in the
BIOS (typically 512MB for VRAM is sufficient) - if you want reclaim all
of it instead then you'd need to get a dedicated GPU to install in the
PCI-E slot - and then turn off onboard graphics.

I'd suggest reduce what is reserved in the BIOS, especially since
dedicated GPUs are still ridiculously expensive.

--
Regards,
Joel Maxwell