[nSLUG] running Ubuntu 20.04 under Windows 10 WSL

Jack Warkentin jwrk at eastlink.ca
Mon Aug 2 07:32:54 ADT 2021

Hi everybody

I am running a hybrid Debian/Devuan desktop system, *without* systemd.
On top of this I have Windows 10 installed in a Virtualbox VM. The only
reason for the Windows 10 is to run my income tax software, so there is
no heavy demand on it, but there have never been any issues when running
that VM.

I'm not sure how much RAM I have, but it's nowhere near the 32G that you
mentioned, George. It turns out that there is at most 8GB, if that helps
anybody wanting to run Windows 10 in a Virtualbox VM.

I thought I had somewhere in the 8 to 10 GB of RAM, but decided to check
for the purpose of writing this. To do that I used hwinfo. I know there
are other utilities for checking hardware, but hwinfo has always suited
me best.

So I issued

hwinfo --all

and selected the results for RAM, which were

   Memory Device: #50
     Location: "DIMM_A2"
     Bank: "BANK 1"
     Manufacturer: "CRUCIAL"
     Serial: "E2EB43D8"
     Part Number: "BLS8G4D26BFSBK.8FD"
     Memory Array: #41
     Error Info: #49
     Form Factor: 0x09 (DIMM)
     Type: 0x1a (Other)
     Type Detail: 0x4080 (Synchronous)
     Data Width: 64 bits
     Size: 8 GB
     Speed: 2666 MHz
   Memory Device Mapping: #51
     Memory Device: #50
     Array Mapping: #42
     Interleave Pos: 0
     Interleaved Depth: 0
     Start Address: 0x0000000000000000
     End Address: 0x0000000200000000
   32bit-Memory Error Info: #52
     Type: 0x03 (OK)
     Granularity: 0x02 (Unknown)
     Operation: 0x02 (Unknown)

12: None 00.0: 10102 Main Memory
   [Created at memory.74]
   Unique ID: rdCR.CxwsZFjVASF
   Hardware Class: memory
   Model: "Main Memory"
   Memory Range: 0x00000000-0x173344fff (rw)
   Memory Size: 6 GB
   Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

My interpretation of this is that I have one RAM DIMM of 8GB, but that
for some reason only 6GB of it is actually in use.

Is that interpretation correct? And if so, how can I make the other 2GB
available for use.

At age 83 it sometimes takes my brain a while to figure some things out.
I just looked at the invoice for the purchase of my latest system and
indeed there is one 8GB RAM DIMM.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwrk at eastlink.ca