[nSLUG] Powering a RPi (was Re: Cellular dongles)

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 12:46:06 ADT 2019

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 9:06 AM Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I may as well add this to the greater groups at this point.
>
> Considering what I plan to attach to the RPi, I will want to ensure all
> the power I can get:
>
> - Two Phidget InterfaceKits (an 8/8/8 and a 0/16/16)
> - A RaZberry2 (https://z-wave.me/products/razberry/)
> - The E303 cell dongle
>
> What complicates the situation is that the RaZberry sits on top of P1
> (covers the top ten pins) although there is a spot on the RaZberry to
> solder on another header to use those ten pins covered:
>

> https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/11787/would-it-be-possible-to-use-both-a-razberry-z-wave-and-a-raspbee-simultaneously

 As long as enough power can pass through back down to the RPi, it should
> be fine.

Another possibility if you have other requirements, would be to lay out a
simple pass through PCB.  Adafruit sells stacking headers:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1112

And this way you could position your board between the pi and Razberry2.
You could break out the supply pins, and any other peripherals for any
customization you need (UART, I2C for realtime clock....).  It's pretty
cheap to get PCBs made up at OSHPark and if you have a couple random
circuits, it can greatly clean up your project.  When you're getting
closer, I'd be happy to show you enough KiCad to make you dangerous.

> Additionally, I would want this battery-backed as I will be using it to
> send a notice in the event of a power loss.  I could use an existing UPS,
> but avoiding additional power conversion (battery DC to wall wort AC back
> to DC for the RPi) would make more sense here.
>
> I will eventually (in some years[1]) have a 12VDC lead-acid bank to work
> from, so my interim solution should be setting up something that will be
> easy to adapt to that as well.  (Or, since I need to add a marine
> battery[2] to the basement next month anyway, maybe I should run a couple
> wires and adapt from that?)

I've seen several boards go by which are a UPS integrated right with the
Pi.  It avoids the inverter making AC just to turn it back into DC
problem.  Also, most inexpensive AC UPS' I've seen put out really dirty
power that you might not want to subject your delicate electronics to.

https://www.buyapi.ca/product/ups-pico-uninterruptible-power-supply-i2c-control-hat/

https://uk.pi-supply.com/products/pi-ups-uninterrupted-power-supply-raspberry-pi

I have no direct experience when any of these, but might work for you.