[nSLUG] Cellular dongles

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 22:10:23 ADT 2019

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:19 AM Dave Flogeras <dflogeras2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll find out if my uncle's modem is any more/less pain in the ass tonight
> hopefully and report back.

I didn't see my uncle until this week, but had a chance to try out the
modem he has.  It's got a "bell" sticker on it, but under the hood it is a
Novatel modem.  It is a similar dual-mode device that requires the
usb_modeswitch package.  It first shows up as a CDRom with the USB
vendor/product 1410:5010.  After switching to a modem, it becomes 1410:7030.

It worked out of the box with the same generic GSM drivers and network
manager.

I forgot to take a picture of the Novatel sticker with the exact model
number, but as far as I can tell it is in the "Ovation" lineup, and
probably a MC99x device.  I can get the exact model next time I see him,
but a quick look on ebay shows several options in the $20-30 range.

HTH
dave