[nSLUG] Need Dynamic DNS provider recommendation

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 07:09:29 ADT 2019

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 7:01 AM Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use freedns.afraid.org (configured with my DD-WRT router) for my
> primary DNS, chosen for being gratis and for having a large choice of
> domain names to piggyback on.
> I however cannot confirm that it is effective yet, as my dynamic IP has
> not changed in months

I also use freedns.afraid.org, on 3-4 hosts for the last several years
(whenever dyndns.org dropped their free support).  I can definitely confirm
it updates correctly, I use ddclient running on a raspberry pi to
synchronize.  I also noticed when setting up the latest Hitron whatever
modem from Eastlink for a friend recently, that their firmware includes
built-in support for afraid.org (used to be only the paid services
typically were bundled in my experience).

freedns.afraid only requires you to log in once every so many months to
keep your free account active, other than that you'll never heard a peep
from them.