[nSLUG] Need Dynamic DNS provider recommendation

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Tue May 7 07:01:10 ADT 2019

I use freedns.afraid.org (configured with my DD-WRT router) for my primary
DNS, chosen for being gratis and for having a large choice of domain names
to piggyback on.
I however cannot confirm that it is effective yet, as my dynamic IP has not
changed in months (only reason it did before was because a power
fluctuation[*] corrupted the router's flash memory and I had to rebuild it
from scratch).

Notes from the DD-WRT documentation:

freedns.afraid.org

Go to http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/ and login with your normal
username and password for the freedns service. Click Direct URL on the
domain you would like to be set to your WAN IP address. Copy everything
from the right of the ? in the address bar.

Router Settings:

DDNS Service: freedns.afraid.org

User Name: USERNAME

Password: PASSWORD

Host Name: yourdomain.com,What_You_Copied_Before

Force Update Interval 10

(Note: Since afraid.org doesn't require a username and password when doing
a "wget-style" update, you can also just do the following to keep from
exposing your username and password:

User Name: guest

Password: guest

[*] Stressed generator during a power outage; needed to either TFTP a new
image at the right moment of a failed boot, or replace the router
altogether.  Was lucky with the TFTP route after several attempts while
watching the time-to-live when pinging that sad state.

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel

 - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson