[nSLUG] Halifax ISPs

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Sat Jun 16 08:30:43 ADT 2018

On 06/08/2018 01:30 PM, Robert McKay wrote:
> On 2018-06-05 17:41, Robin Murray wrote:
>> I am looking for a very basic internet connection in Halifax. I've
>> googled a few lists but they are very useless and often turn out they
>> don't provide the service after they click-baited me onto their sites.
>>
>> I was told by one that my area has "fibre only" so they couldn't
>> service me. I'm wondering if by "fibre only" it means that I'm tied to
>> Bell or Eastlink and paying $100/mo for a connection that I don't
>> need. I'm looking for a car, not a space shuttle.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a cheap service that provides, say, 2M download
>> speeds?
>
> For light use 4g/LTE may be a good/cheap option.
>
> You can plug an 4g/LTE dongle into most any openwrt capable home router,
> or buy a mifi device (which is handy to have anyway).
>
> I have used 4g as my primary internet connection for several months
> using this;
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5770s-320-Hotspot-globally-battery/dp/B014RA2QE6/
>

> that one has a nice hardware ethernet port as well as wifi so it's easy
> to hook up to your lan. It provides dhcp and a 192.168.1.0/24 NAT network.
>
> It wasn't as good as fiber obviously, but it's instant setup and can be
> cheap as long as you can find a plan that fits your usage and cost
> requirements.
>
> Another nice mifi device worth mentioning is
> https://www.gl-inet.com/mifi/ -- this thing runs openwrt out of the box,
> and has a built in battery and mobile module. It's a great little
> gadget, unfortunately I already broke mine by inserting the simcard
> backwards.. it's sim holder is a bit fragile, so be careful.
>
> Or just any openwrt with a usb stick is fine too.
>
> It seems like there may be some reasonable deals using foreign networks
> roaming in canada
>
> http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada#Foreign_SIM_cards_roaming_in_Canada
>

> https://www.amazon.ca/Telcel-Mexico-Prepaid-Card-Devices/dp/B00MYN5OKW/
>
> The US ones seem to provide a good amount of data (including several
> 'unlimited'/throttled options).. so does the free france one if it's
> still available.
>
> If you find a good plan that doesn't allow tethering, that restriction
> can normally be bypassed by running a vpn on the router that's driving
> the 4g stick.
>
> There may also be good contract (as opposed to prepaid) plans too.
>
> Robert

I just saw this yesterday.  It seems to have some good options (cable,
dsl, home phone, TV), but I've never heard of them.  Does anyone have
experience with this company?

http://www.netfox.ca

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher

"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."
- Christopher Morley