[nSLUG] Printers for off-grid poets?

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Sep 23 18:05:54 ADT 2017

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017, George N. White III wrote:

> A poet friend lives off grid.  He has a small solar-panel 12v battery
> system for lights, and has been using my father-in-law's laser printer, but
> FiL is moving to assisted living and can't keep the printer.   Our poet
> friend needs high quality B&W print.   I know inkjets have improved.

***   They have, but laser printers have fallen well down in price. My
experience is that laser printers outweigh inkjets in both
lower maintenance expenses and lower cost-per-sheet.

    Check Denis; last month they had a laser printers on sale for
under $100. (Black & White, I assume.)

> He would probably need a sine-wave inverter.  I assume a laser
> printer would require a generator or much larger inverter to handle
> the peak power demands of the fuser.

***   Inverter, yes, but I don't know what the small, modern laser printers
draw. They may be well down in power consumption by now.

  Richard