[nSLUG] Printers for off-grid poets?

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sat Sep 23 13:16:57 ADT 2017

On 23 September 2017 at 06:54, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>
wrote:

  I know inkjets have improved.

While a $10000 (10k) laser is possibly better than a $100 inkjet, the
inkjet is awfully close.  The big advantage with laser is speed. Inkjets
have other advantages. As you noted, probably better power. Inkjets can
print photo quality colour giving him another creative element to add to
his works.

On the downside if printing in volume the cost per page adds up. Also, in
my experience, after printing 10 - 20 sheets inkjets need a rest or the
lines start to get a less crisp. Discovered this when printing wedding
invitations. If printing in volume a trip into town to staples or similar
is probably a good idea. Finally inkjets get clogged if not used semi
regularly.

The key in my experience to good inkjet prints is good paper. Not only does
22 or 24 lbs paper feel better in the hand but the ink will dry faster on
inkjet paper.

Also ink: the manufacturer crazy expensive ink is better. Sometimes a lot
better. Because of the crazy number of incompatible ink cartridges that may
or may not be in stock, I like the 'tank style' inkjets that use bottled
refiles. Although I have not used such a printer.

> He would probably need a sine-wave inverter.

I don't think so. A regular cheap noisy inverter should work fine. Just
about everything uses a switching mode power supply which are very
tolerant.