[nSLUG] Sony dvd drive no longer plays music cd's

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Mon Sep 11 11:43:00 ADT 2017

Hi Everybody

1. I recently installed Debian Stretch

2. I have an old (very old?, ancient?,...) dvd, a SONY DVD RW DRU-710A.
It used to play dvd's and music cd's. After installing Stretch, it only
plays dvd's.

I use vlc. When I try to play a music cd, it says

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda:///dev/sr0'. Check the log for details.
(I can find no log.)

When I try to mount the cd's filesystem (by mount /media/cdrom0) the
response is

mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0

The only reason I can think of for it not playing music cd's is a
missing module. I have looked through the lib's and can find no module
that would appear to be needed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Thanks

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at bellaliant.net