[nSLUG] Who's Hiring/Interviewing Locally?

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 21:10:42 ADT 2017

I am also from Germany and when I came to Halifax in 2006, was able to get
a regular job offer as a Java Programmer based on my IT skills before I had
any work permit. The company actually supported me through the process for
the work permit.

As a German he quite likely speaks acceptable English, especially as he
managed to find a Canadian girlfriend. :)

His IT skills sound pretty good, so maybe he could simply apply to job
openings in the the regular way.

I find the indeed.ca meta-search quite helpful:
https://www.indeed.ca/jobs?q&l=Halifax%2C%20NS

Cheers
Oliver

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 3:44 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10 September 2017 at 11:08, Robbie MacGregor <robbie.macg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> This is a bit unorthodox, but I'm trying to help my sister's partner with
>> a job search. He's newly arrived from Germany, needs to secure employment
>> as a visa requirement. He's up on modern web stuff (HTML5, CSS3, JS, SQL,
>> etc.), has a bunch of Microsoft certs, and is looking for leads… any leads
>> (programming work, IT, security, whatever). So, I'm sharing a note like
>> this to a couple of likely groups/lists in the hope that somebody wants to
>> make a suggestion or knows of an outfit currently hiring/interviewing.
>>

> Networking with the German-speaking community may lead to jobs that
> require computer skills and technical German language skills.  He might
> have to start out at the volunteer level, things like offering technical
> support for Windows to the German community.
>
> Sascha would do well to touch base with local offices of German companies
> as well as Canadian companies that do business in Germany.   He may find
> someone who has a worthwhile project that was put on the shelf for lack of
> anyone with his skillset.  There are also businesses that use specialized
> German software and equipment and would benefit from his skills to read
> technical manuals or to improve communications with the manufacturer's
> technical support group.
>

>> This is the fella in question:
>> Sascha Niewerth
>> (902) 981-6078