[nSLUG] e2fsck and "System Maintainance Mode" (Help?)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Nov 13 21:38:25 AST 2017

At the risk of beating a dead horse (or diagnosing a fully recovered one)...

Jack Warkentin <jwark at bellaliant.net> wrote:

> There is a directory /var/log/fsck that contains the results of the
> boot time fsck runs.

Neither my main box (2.4 kernel) nor my newer laptop (3.10) has such
a log file.  I had expected there to be some kind of fsck log but I
don't find anything grepping in logs that exist.

There *is* a potential contradiction/conflict there: If fsck looking
for errors in a fs, perhaps it shouldn't go writing to subject fs.

> The message provided by fsck assumes that you will not try to run
> this fsck command with the filesystem mounted, a rather dubious
> assumption, in my opinion.

Yeah.  "There's a problem.  Try this." doesn't say "Go read the
manpage, reboot from another medium and then  try this."

> Does your /etc/mtab file contain the actual list of mounted
> filesystems, or is it a symlink into the /proc filesystem?

It's a plain text file on both older and newer (Slackware 11.0 and
14.1) systems.

Where in /proc do you find the same info? /proc/mounts seems to have
less detail.

- Mike

                                                           /V\