[nSLUG] Re: e2fsck and "System Maintainance Mode" (Help?)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Nov 13 21:07:25 AST 2017

billdavidson at eastlink.ca wrote:

> As for mount vs umount, I suspect etc/mtab is out of date and giving
> false status of the ot her fs, but when umount tries to unmount it
> it finds it i s not really mounted.

I forgot that there was a potential ambiguity/contradiction there.  I
still don't understand how single user mode works in
detail. /etc/rc.d/rc.K says in preferatory comment:

# rc.K  This file is executed by init when it goes into runlevel
#       1, which is the administrative state. It kills all
#       daemons and then puts the system into single user mode.
#       Note that the file systems are kept mounted.

All kinds of things are shut down but fs remain mounted.  Huh.

> Can you get a directory listi ng from /mnt/hda3?

No, /mnt/hda3 was empty. (After fix, there was noting wrong with that
partition except "not cleanly unmouted" after the spontaneous reboot.)

All is well for the moment.  A recurrence will merit drastic
measures. :-)

New thing I learned: You can use find(1) with the -inum switch to find
a filename from an inode number.  Never noticed that before.  Wish I'd
know that while the "two files attached to one inode" problem existed.

- Mike

                                                           /V\