[nSLUG] e2fsck and "System Maintainance Mode" (Help?)

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 19:42:01 AST 2017

On 10 November 2017 at 16:41, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Question first, additional background below:
>
> When fsck offers to go into "System Maintance Mode" at boot time after
> finding a HD problem on hda4, mount reports that hda4 is
>
>               /dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (rw)
>
> fsck also suggests trying "e2fsck -v -y /dev/hda4".
>
> But man fsck says it's dangerous to use fsck on a mounted file system.
>
> Is "System Maintainance Mode" special in some way?

As Douglas said, it means normal boot encountered a problem.

> The last time I hit this, IIRC, I typed the command suggested and all
> was well *except* that the contents of my home directory had vanished!
> (Yes, I had a backup and do now but I'd like to do the right thing if
> possible.)
>
> Unsure what to do. Suggestions?

The first step is to determine if the drive is unhealthy.  It is pointless
spend time trying to extend the life of a failing disk.

If possible run the vendor's diagnostics.  Smartmon tools supports many
drives.   I have obtained warranty return authorization on the basis of
a smartmon test report, but vendor diagnostics are generally more
complete.

These days it is rare for a drive to fail completely, usually they pretend
to work but more and more disk sectors go bad and performance
suffers.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia