[nSLUG] Unstable fibre-op wireless connection

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:51:28 AST 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM Frank Geitzler <
frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I have a HP/Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook about six years old, and have
> had Bell-Aliant fibre-op for about a year.  Over the past several weeks,
> my wireless connection has been very 'shaky'.

Do you have a way to check the status of upstream devices, such as a system
with an Ethernet connection to the wireless router, status lights on the
router, etc.  If you are in a high density area and have a smartphone you
might want to get one of the "free with ads" wifi scanner to see if
anything odd is going on.  Having said that, wifi and Ethernet adapters do
sometimes fail in service.  Back in the days when Ethernet adapters were
common, I had system that seemed to connect to the network OK but NFS was
failing.  When I looked at the adapter there were some carbonized
components.  A new card got NFS going.  I assume the failure had increased
the rate of bad packets, so UDP was useless but TCPIP could still work.

> I may be in the midst of writing an email, when suddenly the Wi-Fi
> Network Authentication Required pop-up will appear, informing me that I
> have lost my connection.  As if that were not bad enough, the password
> line has focus, and as I type about 60 words a minute,   the chances are
> good that I may type over the wireless password -a 16-character
> hexadecimal string.  I then have to look that up and re-enter it.  There
> is usually no problem re-establishing a connection, but it may only stay
> up a few seconds -or for hours.
>
> Could the adapter be failing?  Is there a log in Ubuntu which might give
> a clue to this?  I was able to obtain the following information, so far
> -any assistance would be appreciated.

Older distress used "netstat -i ..."; but now there is "ip" to see some
stats for
a specific interface.

> Thanks,
>
> Frank
>
> frank at frank-Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo lshw -C network
> [sudo] password for frank:
>    *-network
>         product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
>         vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
>         physical id: 0
>         bus info: pci at 0000:02:00.0
>         logical name: wlp2s0
>         version: 01
>         serial: 90:4c:e5:48:09:ca
>         width: 64 bits
>         clock: 33MHz
>         capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet
> physical wireless
>         configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k
> driverversion=4.4.0-98-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.2.17 latency=0
> link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
>         resources: irq:17 memory:d0100000-d010ffff
>    *-network
>         product: RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
>         vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>         physical id: 0
>         bus info: pci at 0000:03:00.0
>         logical name: enp3s0
>         version: 02
>         serial: 00:26:9e:ba:97:87
>         size: 10Mbit/s
>         capacity: 100Mbit/s
>         width: 64 bits
>         clock: 33MHz
>         capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom
> ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
>         configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169
> driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes
> port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
>         resources: irq:26 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:d0010000-d0010fff
> memory:d0000000-d000ffff memory:d0500000-d050ffff
> frank at frank-Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC:~$

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia