[nSLUG] HP OfficeJet printer problems.

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 11 12:56:59 AST 2017

I don't understand how to go about checking aptitude or synaptic for
orphaned or 3rd party packages.  However, before I started messing
around with removing and re-installing hplip, etc, I had found some
instructions which suggested backing up /etc/cups and then deleting it.
I moved (renamed) /etc/cups to /etc/zcups to do this.  After everything
else, I decided this morning to compare /etc/cups to /etc/zcups.  I find
that /etc/cups currently contains only three files:

     raw.convs    raw.types    snmp.conf

while zcups contains nine files and three folders:

The files are:

     classes.conf    cupsd.conf    classes.conf.0 cups-files.conf
printers.conf        subscriptions.conf cups-browsed.conf    printers.conf.0
     subscriptions.conf.0

while the folders are:

     ppd    ssl    interfaces

I looked at the folder /etc/zcups/ppd, and it contains eight files,
which reference both my printers:

     officejet_3830.ppd    officejet_3830.ppd.0 officejet_6200.ppd
     officejet_6200.ppd.0    officejet_6200-series.ppd
     officejet_6200-series.ppd.0    officejet_6200-series-Fax.ppd
     officejet_6200-series-Fax.ppd.0

Since hp-setup doesn't think I have any printers, should I try replacing
my personallly recently created /etc/cups folder by deleting or renaming
it, and renaming my backup folder from /etc/zcups back to /etc/cups?  Or
is there some better way to sort out this mess?

Thanks,

Frank