[nSLUG] Re: Why is ntp so terrible?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Mar 11 00:59:30 AST 2017

Dave Flogeras <dflogeras2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This one has gotten me in the past on embedded systems that may be
> off for months/years and slew a lot, then be turned on an expected
> to perform without any user interaction.  The option is "-g" which
> allows the first (and first only IIRC) adjustment to be arbitrarily
> large.  Under normal circumstances, it will only adjust by maybe
> 10min or so, and if it has to be larger it will just panic and die.

I have one old machine set up to run obsolete peripherals that is used
rarely and loses a lot of time -- hours or days or more -- when off.
To update it, I just use:

  root% date -s "`telnet bogus 13 2> /dev/null |grep 2017`"

I have to enable daytime in inet.conf and kill -HUP inetd on bogus
first.

Bogus is kept more or less up to date although, with dialup and a
weird clock problem with playing DVDs, it's not very gracefully done.

- Mike

                                                           /V\