[nSLUG] HP OfficeJet printer problems.

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 17:51:10 AST 2017

On 9 March 2017 at 10:59, Frank Geitzler <frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Thanks, Joel and Johann.  I entered hplip, then hp-setup and hp-check.
> hp-check had 12 errors -Missing Required Dependencies and Missing Optional
> Dependencies.  I used Synaptic to refresh my package lists, then went down
> the list of missing/incompatible depencies, and by applying all the
> un-inststalled items I found from the list of missing/incompatible... I was
> able to resolve all but one -but that was the big one.    After applying
> all the packages I noted from my list of 12 errors, except for libcups2,
> which was already installed, I reran hp-setup and hp-check, and the single
> error 'libcups2 package is missing/incompatible' still existed, and when I
> attempt to print anything on either of my two hp DeskJet printers (old 6200
> and  new 3830' no printer is available -just the option to print to file...

In aptitude, you may have an entry for orphaned or 3rd party packages.  I
imagine synaptic has something similar. Check that any packages listed
there make sense.   I've seen problems with "incompatible" packages when
using a repository that was messed up.  Check that you don't have some old
ppa.  If you are using mirrors, switch back to "official" sites and see if
new updates appear.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia