[nSLUG] HP OfficeJet printer problems.

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 9 10:59:49 AST 2017

Thanks, Joel and Johann.  I entered hplip, then hp-setup and hp-check.
hp-check had 12 errors -Missing Required Dependencies and Missing
Optional Dependencies.  I used Synaptic to refresh my package lists,
then went down the list of missing/incompatible depencies, and by
applying all the un-inststalled items I found from the list of
missing/incompatible... I was able to resolve all but one -but that was
the big one.    After applying all the packages I noted from my list of
12 errors, except for libcups2, which was already installed, I reran
hp-setup and hp-check, and the single error 'libcups2 package is
missing/incompatible' still existed, and when I attempt to print
anything on either of my two hp DeskJet printers (old 6200 and  new
3830' no printer is available -just the option to print to file...

I have tried searching with queries such as:

hp-check in Ubuntu 16.04LTS shows libcups2 package is missing/incompatible

Most of the responses want me to download/install Canon printer driver
for Ubuntu -which makes no sense.  Should I delete and re-install the
libcups2 package?  If I do this, what other steps should I take at the
same time?

Thanks for your help.

Frank