[nSLUG] Any Perl Experience around?

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 13:08:46 ADT 2017

Thank you again.  An option is to force the column width `-c 36` and leave
a bit of white space (to kludge, preventing the escape chars being
truncated again) while at it:

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/column.1.html

Final (probably) being:
ls -F --color | perl -lne 's/((?:\e\[\d+(?:;\d+)?m)*)([^
\e]{20})[^\e]*(.*)/$1$2...$3/s; print' | column -x - c 36

This should allow for two columns in a typical setup (80 cols) or three in
mine (112 cols).  Checking my work on an online tool, that may not be the
case (due to latter issue you mention).

I will take a look tonight.  I am thinking the `\e` snippets may need to be
reverted to Roberts `\x1b` to not muck up escape scenarios not related to
colour (such as spaces), unless the colour matches above won't match to
that scenario anyway (looks like it won't).

Thanks again.

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel