[nSLUG] Any Docker experts on this thread?

Stephen Yorke syorke at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 19:06:03 ADT 2017

Howdy again gang,

Have a couple things I want to run by someone who is at least good in
Docker.

I am setting up a new web infrastructure which will mainly be WordPress
sites but I want to do it all in Docker and have some questions and
possible concerns.

1. The MySQL/MariaDB instance
Should I create my DB instance on a stand-alone DB server which would also
run NGINX and WordPress to do the initial configurations, then using
Docker, mount the MySQL folder to each container?

2. WordPress
If using the above server as my 'base' for configuration, could I then
mount its WordPress folder as well to each Container or is there a better
way of doing so?

3. NGINX
I will be using the latest stable version NGINX and php-fpm, mount the
folders in containers as well or just setup my NGINX container, copy the
NGINX config files to the local host and have Docker mount said local
folders for the NGINX instance?

I will be looking at Docker Swarm to setup multiple instances of the
websites eventually and have auto-expand and auto-deplete depending on
load.  I will probably have a total of 3-5 Docker nodes running possibly
RanchOS, CoreOS or AlpineOS as I do not need a full Debian installation to
be used as my Container OSes but I will be using Debian or CentOS for my
Database server and possibly another for a File Server for
sharing/mounting to the Docker nodes.

Mainly, what I am looking for is a best practice for the above areas.  I
have looked online but can not find anything really for the database side
of things.  There is a lot of partial information but no type of guides,
guidelines or walk-throughs that folks have already done.  I am sure folks
running these types of setups have done all of the above, why is there real
no information on it out there?  If I get it all setup and configured, it
will be one of the first blog posts I publish on some site somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies, even if it is just links to
documentation that I have yet to uncover.
-Stephen