[nSLUG] Desk Top System Followup

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Jul 16 07:31:18 ADT 2017

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017, Ron Dewar wrote:

> he can get a cast off desktop from the QEII foundation for around
> $10.

***   Thank you. We picked one up last week.

> They will not have a disk, and are between 3 - 5 years old

***   The hard drive would not ordinarily be a problem. However, the
VG units are new enough to require SATA drives, but my friend's drive
is an IDE. I have located a free SATA for him, but we must now set
that up and get his data transferred. This would not usually be a
problem, but his old computer will not boot for us to copy the data
to a flashdrive.  )-:

    We are working on this issue now. I believe I may have to
temporarily transfer his drive to one of my IDE-compatible computers
and do it that way.

                               --------

    Thanks for everyone's suggestions; we are closer to getting my
friend up and running.  (-:

  Richard