[nSLUG] Looking for recommendations on Linux Web Server

Stephen Yorke syorke at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 11:12:48 ADT 2017

Heya everybody.  Hope all is going well during your summer months.

I am building a new web server and am looking for recommendations.  If
anyone can comment on the following I would be greatly appreciative.

1. Partitioning, I have lots of disc space but need a proper partitioning
scheme, server will be either a 2/4//8 proc with 4-16GB RAM, lower specs to
start but can/will change if need be.
2. Easy replication to add web servers to an NLB cluster

Mainly, I am starting a new community and if all goes well, I should need
to add multiple webservers to handle the load.  It will all be hosted from
home in the beginning but could be pushed to Azure, AWS or Google so
replicating what I have should be fairly easy to do with minimal downtime.

The web site will be run via a WordPress installation and MariaDB.  It will
eventually have videos and pictures will be the norm to start off.

I will be running everything from my Hyper-V servers and have a hardware
Load Balancer which will eventually be incorporated as well.

I will have a dedicated DB server and all my web servers will be connected
to this single DB server.  I have also debated using Docker and Docker
Storm so suggestions here will also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Stephen