[nSLUG] Re: WIFI dongle for linux?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Jul 11 01:25:26 ADT 2017

> A-1 Laptop at the Dartmouth Shopping Centre has two models -an
> Airlink N150, and an Airlink N300.  The paper documentation for each
> of these models in the store assures the purchaser that each dongle
> will work with many models of Windows and Apple, but does not
> mention Linux drivers.  Has anyone in either club any experience
> with either of these dongles (or any others) running under Linux
> which you could recommend?

"...or any other..."

I had an Airlink 100 USB wifi dongle working with Slackware 14.1
(3.10.17 kernel) on a Panasonic Toughbook with wicd which saw it as
wlan0.

So I'd risk another Airlink USB dongle if I were in need of the like.

But I didn't use it very much because the Panasonic battery was
prombematic and I soon bought a newer laptop with on-board wifi.  Too
bad as it's a nice machine and I like it better than the new one.  But
short battery life and many hours to recharge made it unusable for my
purposes.

FWIW,
- Mike