[nSLUG] Executable won't execute on Debian Stretch

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 17:00:45 ADT 2017

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Jack Warkentin <jwark at bellaliant.net> wrote:

> Hi Donald
>
> D G Teed wrote:
>

>> I thought I had read the seamonkey project was dead.
>> I stopped using it awhile back when I could see it
>> wasn't as stable as in the early days.
>>

> I really like its user interfaces, and the fact that it is an all-in-one
> suite. I even use the composer sometimes.
>

>> Chrome is really the only way to go in Linux, because Flash
>> is discontinued for Linux, and there are still
>> interfaces for products like VMware and Fortinet
>> which require a bit of Flash.
>>
>> Really, these days with security exploits coming out
>> about every second day, you want to use a browser (and plugins)
>> that is well supported and frequently updated.
>>

> The problem with chrome is, it doesn't seem possible to block cookies. I
> only allow cookies from very selected websites. Also, it is tied in to
> Google's cloud system, which I do not want to have anything to do with.

Unwanted cookies, or arbitrary code execution.  It is your choice...

To give an idea, here is a list of CVEs for Firefox in 2016.

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-452/product_id-3264/year-2016/Mozilla-Firefox.html

Here are the CVEs against Thunderbird in 2016.

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-452/product_id-3678/year-2016/Mozilla-Thunderbird.html

Seamonkey isn't even tracked by this database since 2015.  That is unusual
for a product to fall off the radar at CVE, which even tracks bugs in CMS
web applications.

Since Seamonkey includes both products in one, I'd imagine you should be
getting
13 + 133 patches, and perhaps not quite as many updates during the year of
2016.

If you are not getting Seamonkey updates about once per week, you are
exposed to something more risky to your system than cookies.
If would be better to install/run Thunderbird and Firefox seperately than
rely on a slow moving beta effort of Seamonkey currently.

There are extensions for Chrome like Adblocker and Disable Cookies
is available for Chrome as well.

The cloud aspect can be avoided by simply not signing into a google account
and disabling the Location feature on the Android phone unless the GPS is
needed.  You can also make a separate Google account for an Android phone
which has nothing to do with anything else done in Google.  Partition your
Internet usage, don't save the authentication,
and you are no longer a single entity in the database.