[nSLUG] Executable won't execute on Debian Stretch

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Sun Jul 2 16:05:51 ADT 2017

Hi Oliver

Thank you very much for this.

Oliver Doepner wrote:
> Jack,
>
> You might have a 32bit Seamonkey on a 64bit system and Seamonkey
 > cannot find some libs.

Yes, I did have the 32bit version, and very likely there *were* missing
libraries.

> See this question/answer:
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/99562/i-get-bash-no-such-file-or-directory-even-though-the-executable-is-there

I expect the message "bash: ./seamonkey: No such file or directory" was
saying that libs were missing, not that it could not find the seamonkey
executable, as I had assumed.

> I would try installing Seamonkey the apt-get way, as described on
 > this page:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Seamonkey <https://wiki.debian.org/Seamonkey>

I tried this and unfortunately the page that the download was supposed
to come from gave an error message, and I was unable to obtain the
package for installation. I would have preferred this message.

> Alternatively, there is a Linux/x86_64 build available from here (see
> contributed Builds):
> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

Indeed! And I now have this successfully installed.