[nSLUG] A problem with Adobe faash and Firefox in Ubuntu (Solved)

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 21 23:29:07 AST 2017

On Thu, 2017-01-19 at 02:05 -0400, Mike Spencer wrote:

> > I have an old laptop running Ubuntu 12.04LTS (the hardware won't support
> > anything more recent).  I wanted to look at a video of my daughter
> > playing her flute at a funeral, and the website advised that the adobe
> > flash plugin for Firefox needed to be updated.
>
> You might look at:
>
>    https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl
>
> which will download video from youtube.  Then you can watch it with
> mplayer, vlc or whatever.  YMMV etc. etc.
>
> It's in Python and requires Python 2.6, 2.7 or 3.2+ so you might check
> with your Ubuntu distro to see if you have one of those.

Thanks, Mike, but this video was on the funeral home's website, not on
youtube.  I will look into that suggestion, though, for youtube videos.
I do have the python.
As for the video link you sent showing blacksmithing in China, who
wouldn't want to own (or be able to make) a 'Hula-Hoop' like that one.

> For those who think blacksmithing is cool -- don't you all? -- here's
> some Chinese guys forging something bigger than I've ever tried.
>
>    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r41dcYUvNLk
>
> Splendid teamwork.
>
> - Mike

Jack, I did load the Ubuntu 16.04 release in trial (live) mode, but it
was so slow that I wouldn't even consider upgrading to it on that
machine.  The laptop was old when it was given to me about 5 years ago
by the widow of a friend.  It is an old Dell Latitude C810 with a
Pentium III with a CPU speed of 1.13 GHz, and only 512 K of memory on a
40GB hard drive.  In addition, I seem to recall that one of the later
releases (14.04?) makes use of hardware features which this machine does
not have.  I realize that running in 'Live' mode is limited by the DVD
speed, and the limited memory, but the machine is primarily used only to
look at newspaper articles.

> I am surprised that later versions of Ubuntu won't install on this
> machine, because I am almost certain that Debian (on which Ubuntu is
> based) would. Debian is easy to install over the Internet via a netinst
> CD or usb memstick. I could help you with that.
>
> Regards
>
> Jack

Dop, I mis-read your message, and ran the command:
    sudo dpkg -P adobe-flash-properties-gtk
and it did remove adobe-flash-properties-gtk.
However, when I started FireFox, it crashed again, so I decided to
modify the command to reference     adobe-flashplugin"
        sudo dpkg -P adobe-flashplugin

and when I restarted FireFox, it was successful.

Dop Ganger wrote:

> Try:
> sudo dpkg -P adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-gtk
> to completely remove these two packages.

Oliver

> To search for possible Flash plugins, try:
> apt-cache search flash.*plugin
> To install a specific package from the list (eg, flashplugin-installer),
> try:
> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
> If there's complaints about can't find a file from the repo, update the
> apt cache with:
> sudo apt-get update
> and then try the install again.
> Cheers... Dop.

Thanks, Oliver.
I have made a note of all these commands -I have reached the age where I don't rely on memory.
Frank
Oliver Doepner wrote:

> Use "man apt-get" to learn about apt-get.
> Try:
> sudo dpkg -P adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-gtk
> to completely remove these two packages.
> To search for possible Flash plugins, try:
>
> apt-cache search flash.*plugin
> To install a specific package from the list (eg, flashplugin-installer), try
>

> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
> If there's complaints about can't find a file from the repo, update the apt cache with:
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> and then try the install again.

Oliver Doepner