[nSLUG] A problem with Adobe faash and Firefox in Ubuntu

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Jan 19 21:42:42 AST 2017

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, Frank Geitzler wrote:

> I have an old laptop running Ubuntu 12.04LTS (the hardware won't support anything more recent).  I wanted to look at a video of my daughter playing her flute at a
> funeral, and the website advised that the adobe flash plugin for Firefox needed to be updated.  I immediately did so, and firefox crashed.  I would like to back out
> the update, but haven't been able to do so.  Synaptic change history  says that my installation
> removed flash-plugin-installer(11.2.202.491-01buntu0.12.04.1)
> and installed
> adobe-flashplugin(20170110.1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1)
>    and
> adobe-flash-properties-gtk(10270110.1-0ubuntu0.12.014.1)

Try:

sudo dpkg -P adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-gtk

to completely remove these two packages.

> Can anyone suggest something else I might try?  I would prefer to stay with Firefox, rather than Chrome...

To search for possible Flash plugins, try:

apt-cache search flash.*plugin

To install a specific package from the list (eg, flashplugin-installer),
try:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

If there's complaints about can't find a file from the repo, update the
apt cache with:

sudo apt-get update

and then try the install again.

Cheers... Dop.