[nSLUG] HP3830 OfficeJet Printer problem with Ubuntu 16.04

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sat Feb 25 14:16:45 AST 2017

On 24 February 2017 at 10:45, Frank Geitzler
<frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> I have a new printer, which seems to work well with my old WinXP desktop
> system,USB connected.  When disconnect the usb cable from desktop system and
> connect it to my laptop system, running Ubuntu 16.04, any print jobs are
> held, and when I release them, they are immediately held again.  The 3830 is
> set as the default printer, and no other printer is connected.

That printer is fully supported by hplip so you just need to find the
magic your are missing to make it work.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/officejet/officejet_3830_series.html

hplip is shipped with Ubuntu. Almost certainly it is installed
already. Otherwise:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install hplip

Do you need to run hp-setup as root for this printer? Some printers
need a binary blob that hp-setup will download from HP. Remove the
printer from you current cups config before running hp-setup so you
don't get a confusing double config.

The hp site says network printing is fully supported. Does your
printer have the network builtin? I find networked printers generally
more reliable with linux. (that said I need to un-plug and re-plug my
hp envy series printer every other week to force the network stack to
reboot.)