[nSLUG] Re: WiFi and ethernet too: how to make eth0 & wlan0 both work?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Feb 25 02:24:13 AST 2017

Thanks Dop & Hatem for pointers.  The phone with an IP data channel
was just visiting and has gone away but will be back betimes.  You've
suggested enough key words that I can do some reading in the meantime.

My home LAN is configured with fixed addresses in 192.168.0.x in
/etc/hosts for all working computers including the old ones collecting
dust.  Hitherto, I've just cookbooked DHCP when away from home with
the laptop, doing whatever wicd(1) seems to want and having good luck.
There are well over 50 (!)  RFCs on DHCP and even the few that might
be instructional make an intimidating bunch, especially considering
that I'm also weak on just how the route(8) utility works.

I get it that there has to be two routes (for the real net and for the
LAN) but I don't really understand it yet.  So I'll do some reading
and maybe get back to y'all when the phone pays another visit.

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\