[nSLUG] WiFi and ethernet too: how to make eth0 & wlan0 both work?

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 17:32:26 AST 2017

Hi Mike,

I use wicd on my laptop, too, (Debian Jessie, desktop is XFCE).
Everything is vanilla installation.

The wicd daemon is automatically started as a system service.
The XFCE session manager automatically starts "wicd-gtk --tray" right on
login.

I switch between wired and wireless simply through the wicd UI (from the
system tray).
No low-level configuration, nothing.

Usually I let it connect to a wireless network.
When I plug in ethernet, that shows up as an option in the wicd UI and I
can select it.

Maybe you are trying to configure too much low level stuff, making things
complicated that would work out of the box?

Good luck
Oliver

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:10 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Novel problem for me.
>
> I temporarily have my laptop talking to the internet via wireless on a
> cell phone set to act as an access point.  Works fine, using wicd.
>
> Now I would like to plug an ethernet cable into the laptop and also
> talk to my desktop via my own LAN router which is not connected to the
> internet, just to 3 local machines and a printer.
>
> But configuring eth0 with ethtool seems to cause wicd to drop the wifi
> connection.  I can only get the cabled connection to work by killing
> wicd.
>
> If I establish the cable connection first, I can then start the wicd
> daemon from /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd okay.  But then starting the wicd client
> and connecting to the wifi access point causes the cable connecion to
> go "Network unreachable".
>
> I really don't know what I'm doing here.  Even if both were working,
> there would have to be a way to make a command (say, ping) use the
> desired interface.
>
> Any short answers or pointers to longer answers I can read?
>

> Tnx,
> - Mike
>
> --

🐭 🐮 🐱 🐵