[nSLUG] WiFi and ethernet too: how to make eth0 & wlan0 both work?

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 03:08:34 AST 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:10 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Novel problem for me.

> But configuring eth0 with ethtool seems to cause wicd to drop the wifi
> connection.  I can only get the cabled connection to work by killing
> wicd.
>
> If I establish the cable connection first, I can then start the wicd
> daemon from /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd okay.  But then starting the wicd client
> and connecting to the wifi access point causes the cable connecion to
> go "Network unreachable".

This part doesn't make too much sense. This should not happen at all!

I do have a guess though, My guess is that the phone network and your
LAN have the same subnet and mask. Is this true?

You can check using ifconfig, should tell you what your ip / subnet /
gateway
details are.

If this is the case, you will have to change one of the two. The easiest
should be to change the dns config on your phone since nothing really
uses it except in an adhoc fashion, but to be honest I never did it, so it
might not be easy. Alternatively set your home network subnet to something
a little less normal to avoid conflicts like this. Such as 192.168.30.*

This type of problem will also occur when logging into a VPN that overlaps
with your local network settings. It is one of the shortcomings of the ip
protocol.
To clarify, no flamebait intended, but it is an oversight that has became
apparent
when ARIN a few years ago decided to start giving out some ip's previously
used in some private networks.