[nSLUG] Reply Re: Problem connecting new installation Firefox to BellAliant FibreOp

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Sat Aug 12 11:50:23 ADT 2017

Hi Everybody

According to the Release Notes for Debian Stretch:

5.3.9 Net-tools will be deprecated in favor of iproute2

The net-tools package is no longer part of new installations by default,
since its priority has been lowered from important to optional. Users
are instead advised to use the modern iproute2 toolset
(which has been part of new installs for several releases already). If
you still prefer to continue using the net-tools programs you can simply
install it via

apt install net-tools

.
.
.

Here is a summary of the net-tools commands, together with their
iproute2 equivalent:

legacy net-tools	iproute2 replacement commands
commands

arp			ip n (ip neighbor)
ifconfig		ip a (ip addr), ip link, ip -s (ip -stats)
iptunnel		ip tunnel
nameif			ip link
netstat			ss,
			ip route (for netstat -r),