[nSLUG] Reply Re: Problem connecting new installation Firefox to BellAliant FibreOp

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 11 13:41:19 ADT 2017

Joel, thanks very much for your help.  I have finally managed to get
both Firefox and my system software installation applications to work
properly.  I have provided the details here, for other NSLUG and HCC
members, in case they should encounter a similar problem.

My Firefox Connection settings said to 'Use system proxy settings'.  I
changed it to 'No proxy', but achieved no change in performance.  System
Settings > Network > Network proxy > proxy method is 'None'.  the result
continued to be 'Problem loading page' and "Server not found - Firefox
can't find the server at start.ubuntu.com.  When I changed the target
website to "http://www.bellaliant.net" the responses were the same;
replacing 'start.ubuntu.com' with 'www.bellaliant.net'.

I checked back, and noticed that the 'System Settings... > proxy method'
had an option for the Proxy Method to 'Apply system wide'.  I selected
that option, with my master-password, and restarted the system to ensure
that the change would take effect. I then successfully executed the
terminal commands:

     sudo apt-get update
     sudo apt-get install synaptic
     sudo apt-get install traceroute

but

     sudo apt-get install ifconfig

fails

     "E: Unable to locate package ifconfig"

As a matter of interest, I opened Synaptic, and did a search for
'ifconfig'.  Synaptic did not find ifconfig, but returned a list of
almost a dozen network tools, and advised that iproute2 version
4.9.0-1ubuntu1 (networking and traffic controls) is installed. However,t
when I entered the terminal command 'man iproute2' I was advised that
there is no manual entry for iproute2.  Since my problem is resolved,
however, I won't worry about that right now.

After all that, however, when I tried Firefox again, the google search
page came up, and when I queried "How can I obtain a free copy of
Windows 10" I obtained a list of sources -I responded to "All the Ways
You Can Still Upgrade to Windows 10 For Free" (although it is dated
September 22, 2016), and was able to download an image of Windows 10,
which I plan to install in a VirtualBox.  I don't plan to use Win10 for
production, but several friends and relatives have encountered problems
recently with which I was only able to provide limited help -having it
available on my own test system will expand my capability to help others
-although I will certainly not claim to be an expert.j

Thanks again for *your *assistance with this strange problem.
Frank Geitzler