[nSLUG] Problem connecting new installation Firefox to BellAliant FibreOp

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 9 13:02:56 ADT 2017

I just installed Ubuntu 17.04 on a Lenovo 7360 with a wired connection
to my FibreOp router.  When I open Firefox, it advises that the server
is not found. "Firefox cannot find the server at ..." even when I type
in "www.bellaliant.net", although when I enter this address on my
laptop, it is resolved to "aliant.bell.ca".

The options provided by Firefox for this problem are:

  * Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead
    of www.example.com.
  * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
  * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
    make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.

I compared the network settings in Firefox on the Lenovo to my existing
laptop settings, and they appear identical.

The indication on the screen is that there is a cable connection to the
network (the pair of arrows, one pointing in each direction, on the top
line of the screen).

Do I need to configure anything in the router?  I didn't think so, but I
could be wrong.  How can I check to see if I am protected by a firewall
or proxy?

I could call BellAliant support, but the usual response is "What is
Ubuntu/Linux"?.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Frank Geitzler