[nSLUG] Access to imap.chebucto.ns.ca from Eastlink

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 19:39:21 ADT 2017

On 22 April 2017 at 11:10, Frank Geitzler <frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> George, I don't know if this is useful to you or not, but I use
> Thunderbird with Ubuntu 16.04 on Bell Aliant, and I read your message at
> 09:55 AM Saturday morning, April 17, 2017, as shown by the line "George N.
> White III wrote" below.  I don't know when you actually submitted your
> message, but the line below beginning with "220 halifax.chebucto.ns.ca"
> shows a timestamp of "Sat, 22 Apr 2017 09:37:23 -0300", so there does not
> seem to be a great delay between your transmission and my reception.

I use gmail for lists, so delivery times aren't relevant.   It would be
useful if you could try "openssl s_client -showcerts -connect
imap.chebucto.ns.ca:993".

> I use POP3 on Sympatico, on a HP/Compaq laptop, and am replying to your
> message at 11:11 A.M. Saturday, April 22.

Which leaves a possibility that Ubuntu Thunderbird imap is broken, but as
imap is also failing IOS I'm think the problem is either Eastlink or
Chebucto.  If openssl can connect to Chebucto from an Aliant site then the
problem is likely with Eastlink.