[nSLUG] Access to imap.chebucto.ns.ca from Eastlink

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 09:55:35 ADT 2017

For the past week or so I've had problems using Thunderbird Mail on Ubuntu
16.04 and also Apple Mail on an ipad.  Mail from other Eastlink users has
been very slow (days) to arrive.  I'm not sure if Eastlink is blocking
access or Chebucto is having problems.

https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213961665-How-to-verify-that-SSL-for-IMAP-POP3-SMTP-works-and-the-proper-certificate-is-installed-
gives incantations and sample
output for working servers.  I get the expected result for the SMTP, but
IMAP is failing and has been for several days:

$ openssl s_client -showcerts -connect smtp.chebucto.ns.ca:465
[...]
---
220 halifax.chebucto.ns.ca ZMailer Server 2.99.56 #3 ESMTP+IDENT ready at
Sat, 22 Apr 2017 09:37:23 -0300

But
$ openssl s_client -showcerts -connect imap.chebucto.ns.ca:993
connect: Connection timed out
connect:errno=110

I'd appreciate any troubleshooting pointers.  It could be useful to know if
the imap test fails for other internet providers.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia